Terri Gray's Update

Hello. Welcome to my Blog. I will use this form of communication to keep all my family, friends and others who are interested in my life experiences living with cancer up to date. I have been battling inflammatory breast cancer since May 2003. Every day I pray "May I be a blessing to you in each word I write today!" Please subscribe to my Blog by entering your email address in the subscribe box located in the right column below my book.

Friday, March 03, 2006

How the new chemo is going

Hello dear ones,

I imagine you're all curious as to how Wednesday's chemo went...and how I'm doing now. I needed to give it a few days just to know what to say. First of all, the chemo lasted 5 hours, and seemed to take forever. But Dr. Lossing took every precaution to keep me from having any reactions, which...looking back now, I do appreciate. He decided to put a small butterfly IV in the back of my right hand for attaching the pain meds from my pump system, instead of trying to share the Port-A-Cath with two needles, and I agreed to it. After three attempts, he did successfully get the IV going...ouch. (Sorry...that was my moment to whine). Dr. Lossing researched the Lapatinib and learned that I am not a candidate for it due to my Her2Neu status. Oh well, it was worth a try. This Doxil just HAS to work, that's all there is to it!
This is the first chemo drug I've ever taken that is not taken with saline solution, but instead, D5W...which is more like a sugar solution. Some sort of incompatibility issue. Once I finished the red Kool-Aid, which is what the Doxil looked like, he ran the D5W. I did not have any nausea or vomiting during the treatment, for which I'm very grateful. When I got home, I was slightly fatigued from the long day, so I rested. Then, I had a good long sleep! Amazing, because I did receive the normal pre-chemo steroids in my IV, which normally kept me awake! Thank God for the sleep.
The next day brought with it stomach pain after eating each meal, and has continued today, so I'm going to assume that this will be the side effect I"m going to experience with the Doxil. It's not nausea, just pain. I'm taking Reglan to try and counteract this problem, but so far, it's not helping too much. The main problem with this side effect is that it is affecting my weight again. As you'll recall, I lost 35 pounds since Dec. 21st when I had the chemoembolization. My friend brought over a cookbook for me to pick out some recipes I might enjoy. Right now, in order to prevent certain side effects, I have to avoid anything that is not room temperature. So I'm going to choose salads. I love pasta-type salads, and that should add some calories to my meals. Thank you Cindy for the yummy cook book. And thank you to Pamela Walton, who showed up at my door last week with home made, still warm, cookies! They're the best, and everyone enjoyed sharing them with me!
The precautions I have to take with this chemo is slightly unusual. I have to avoid anything both inside and outside my body that is not room temperature. That means cool showers, and no hot or cold foods. My gums are already slightly sensitive today, so now I understand why I have to avoid these things. Fortunately, I only have to do this for the first week of chemo. The chemo is an every 4 week regimen, so that should give me ample time to recover.
My parents are on their way as I type this letter. I always look forward to their visits, as Mom is so helpful around the house, and our talks and prayers together are priceless. I love all of you for standing by my side throughout this long long journey. I know it's like being on a roller coaster, but none of you has jumped off! Thanks.



May I be a blessing to you in each word I write today.
The past is history, the future is a mystery, but the present is a gift! Enjoy today.